A somewhat comprehensive list of tools, apps, hardware, and more that I use on a daily basis to design and code things. And yeah, that is a Johnny Mnemonic GIF in the background.
- Figma is my primary tool for UI design these days. Made the switch from Sketch in 2020 and haven't looked back. I've also created a few plugins that you can install.
- Any motion graphics I create are created in Adobe After Effects. So far I haven't found a non-Adobe product that's as good. If anyone has suggestions please message me.
- For any 3D models I use Blender. Since 2.8 it's become way simpler to use and in a lot of ways better than expensive paid tools like 3DS Max or Maya.
- I use Visual Studio Code as my text editor, with the Atom One Dark theme and Operator Mono as my typeface of choice.
- Firefox is my main browser for both development and general use.
- For 3D effects and image shaders I use three.js. It has a bit of a learning curve but you can do some really powerful stuff with it.
- For CSS I've used a myriad pre-processors and css-in-js solutions like styled-components, but these days I'm using vanilla CSS with PostCSS to get upcoming CSS features today.
- For building and testing UI components in isolation I use Storybook. Check out the storybook for this website.
- My laptop is a trusty 2015 Macbook Pro.
- My Windows PC is a custom built GTX 780ti, i7 4770k, ASRock Z97 Extreme4 build with a 1Tb NVME SSD and a Cooler Master 850w power supply.
- I use a Logitech MX keys wireless keyboard.
- My mouse is a Logitech G403.
- My monitor is a 1440p IPS 144hz LG 27GL850.
- I use a Blue Yeti microphone for audio recording.
- I use Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones at my workstation and Apple Airpods while AFK.